[T3] Shift coupler differences

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Tue Dec 15 03:25:31 PST 2015

On 12/14 21:10, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2015 at 15:28, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
>
> > Now if I could just find a couple spare clips for the early coupler, and
> > maybe a better set of early rubber pieces (metal bushing instead of
> > plastic)...
>
> The clips look just like the ones that are also used to secure the
> anchors on the bottom end of the retaining cables for the back seat
> bottom on the late squarebacks (or was it the earlier
> squarebacks...?) Whichever it was, I think I have a couple.

Are you referring to the eyelet on the cable where it attaches to the
car body via a pin?  That was on later Squarebacks (the earlier ones
just use e-clips).  These are the same as the clip that holds the roller
wheel on the accelerator pedal lever (the piece that the throttle cable
attaches to).  The clip on the shift coupler is considerably larger,
unfortunately.  I do wonder if it shows up elsewhere in VW land,
though...

Thinking about rear seat clips reminds me of another item I need: an
e-clip that fits the arms (parts list calls them pivot rods -- the
pieces that attach to the side of the car body) of the rear seat
backrest.  Most Squarebacks had pressed-in retaining pins that hold the
arms on, but early seats have a fixed rod sticking out and an e-clip.
Nice if you, for some strange reason, need to replace one of those arms,
but a drag if one of your car's previous owners lost a clip decades ago.
Anyway, I don't expect anyone to have one of these clips on hand, but
hey, there's a little bit of trivia for you all.

> Did all the earlier cars get this style shift coupling? I've never
> seen that style, but I've worked on very few early cars.

Cars prior to VIN 221975 (early August 1963) had the round Bug style
coupler, like this: http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/998660.jpg

Soren