[T3] ANOTHER slipped belt!

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 03:20:30 PDT 2015

I don't have a truck - just VW cars!  I'm not sure I would be pleased to
find tyres developing cups - isn't that likely to be due to something wrong
in the front suspension?  Over 50 years of ownership the only time I got
uneven wear was when I changed the Beetle from its original Michelin
cross-plies (about 55,000 miles and still 4mm tread left) to Pirelli CF67
radials (bias-ply), without setting the toe-in to zero.  They wore a bit
more on the front outers. Easily sorted once I asked about it at the garage.

Front tyres on a Type 3 are more critical for directional stability and
braking - they more easily lock up than the more heavily loaded rears.
Replacing two at a time allows a single front to rear swap as the tread
wears, and the new ones go on the front.  It works for me!  YMMV of course.

Dave
VW Type 3&4 Club