[T3] ANOTHER slipped belt!

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 10:40:56 PDT 2015

After the original, first set of bias tires were (what I thought was
premature) worn out, IIRC about 24K+ miles, I went to a tire dealer in
Madison, WI and they advised me to install 165/80R15 Michelin tires.  They
were a bit backed up on installations and we had a 3-hour wait to do some
shopping.

We returned near their 5-o'clock closing time; paid for the tires,
installation, balancing, etc, and drove off on 25 mph, city streets.
After driving 9 or 10 blocks, I was convinced I was driving a totally
different car.  Remember, this was now ~1971, just a 2-year-old car.
I immediately drove backed to the tire shop and (tongue-in-cheek) accused
them of switching cars on me.  They laughed and said:  "That's the
difference between radials and bias tires.  And Michelin and other brands."

From that day, until now, I have always bought Michelin's.

Question:
Have any of you used "powder" balancing beads in your car tires?  If so,
what results?
Often RVers with big bus-type tires (255/80 R22.5's, etc.) often used the
"beads".  That negates the need of installing one-side vs. two-side
balancing weights.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)