[T3] Steering Wheel Center Cover...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 8 05:48:22 PDT 2015

On 7 Jun 2015 at 21:56, Ralph Tree wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance, but I've never seen one of these horn systems in
> place. When i tighten the screws down there is no spring action. The
> wheel and horn ring just tighten down firmly. Is there a spring in
> there somewhere other than on the small screws?

Sounds like you're asking about the 2-spoke steering wheel, used up
to the middle of '72. The original question was about the later
4-spoke wheel, which has a completely different system.

On your early wheel, there are small springs around each of the 3
horn ring attaching screws, plus a different sort of spring that
holds the center cap in place. The small screws are shoulder screws
that tighten down until their shoulders hit.

NB: On the early wheel, people who take the horn ring out sometimes
lose one or more of the star lockwashers that go under the shoulders.
This allows the screw to advance just a hair too far and that will
sound the horn at all the wrong times. The OE star washers can be
replaced with a standard #6 US external star washer.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org