[T3] Ground Strap

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 11 20:27:23 PDT 2015

On 11 Jun 2015 at 21:50, Craigs List wrote:

> When under my Square today dealing with the clutch cable, I noticed that I
> do not have a ground strap from the tranny to the body. Can someone post a
> picture of the two points that I need to connect one?
>
> I think I might know why my fuel gage doesn't work. :)

That should have no effect on your gas gauge, but it's likely to
effect the starter. With no ground strap, the return current from the
starter has to come thru the clutch and accel cables, etc. That can
be hard on the cables, as well as limiting the starter power.

The tranny ground strap comes from somewhere on the pan to one of the
bolts that attach the tranny nose cone. It will be toward the
passenger side of the car. I don't remember the exact location, but
it should be somewhat obvious. I'd be surprised if there wasn't
something still there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org