[T3] Cleaning Up

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 21 09:38:53 PDT 2015

I'm trying to clean out my work area. Over the years it's become too
cluttered with the leftovers of previous repairs that I've not been
willing to toss in the scrap iron bin. Yesterday I went thru some of
it and found that I have a number of Type 3 brake calipers that are
good, except for the fact that the compensating pins have been broken
out of them. While I prefer to use calipers the way VW provided them,
I don't think the lack of these pins is a problem, AS LONG AS both
calipers are the same.

For the record, VW is almost the only maker that did this, so if
Mercedes didn't do it, it's probably not a problem. I've done it both
ways on my own cars, just as a test, and I couldn't tell the
difference in use. And, for the record, if you buy reconditioned
calipers from almost anyone but me, they will come with the pins
broken out of them.

So, if you want a caliper, or a pair, I will sell these for the price
of a rebuild: $50 for one or $45 each for 2 or more. I have both
early and late calipers, but only one pair of late calipers.

This price includes caliper body, pistons, seals, boots, and bleed
valves, but not the pads, pad retaining pins, or other hardware. I
can supply those parts at my regular prices if you need them. Prices
are good until this limited supply is gone.

If these don't sell in a month or so, they all get recycled.

I have lots of other parts that I'd love to get rid of, too. All from
40 years of accumulating parts and parting out Type 3s. I have almost
anything from speedometers, flywheels, and fans to clutch cables. Ask
if there's anything you need/want. Most of what I have is '68 or
later, but I have a few early parts, like 6 V choke heaters.

Sorry, there's just WAY too much to list. If you want something,
email me directly, please don't send your requests to this list.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org