[T3] Cleaning Up

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Jun 23 20:43:06 PDT 2015

On 23 Jun 2015 at 21:55, Craigs List wrote:

> I pulled out my calipers. Where can I find the rebuild kits? I figured I
> would ask you before asking my flaps.

This is not likely to be a DIY job. I've invested a fair amount of
time and effort in tools to make it possible for me to get these
apart, plus a LOT of years figuring out what to do to make the job
work and last. It's NOT just a matter of taking things apart and
installing new parts from a rebuild kit. Yeah, I know, some things
are that easy, but calipers are not.

My first few attempts were failures. That was circa 1970 and the car
was a '68, so those were with calipers that were only a couple years
old. Today, with 40-50 year old calipers, it's likely to be even
harder.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but isn't that better than your spending a lot
of time in the effort, plus money for rebuild kits, and ending up
ruining good parts, and maybe the calipers? For the cost of my doing
them, which is CHEAP, you'll know they're done well and done for a
long time.

Be careful if you go after these with a C-clamp to see if the pistons
are seized. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, you can tilt
the piston and crack the caliper casting. It has a very vulnerable
area that you'd not expect if you didn't know the internal
construction.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org