[T3] EFI origins

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Wed Jun 24 10:33:09 PDT 2015

I’ve read that the original patents were from Bendix in the 1950s; Bosch bought them and then went to work making it practical.

The state of the art in “solid state electronics” took the 10 years to become economically viable, not just technically possible.  Then came the push for lower emissions, with EFI being VW’s answer, far ahead of many others.  The record/slide show VW produced on FI emphasized emissions above all else.

At shows or meets, no one believes me when I tell them this was the first production car in the world with EFI.  Their silence tells me they figure that can’t be true and are politely silent in calling BS.  But we know better.

-Phil