[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 1 19:54:44 PDT 2015

On 1 May 2015 at 15:37, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> I took it for a drive today, and I also notice that the brakes are
> definitely "dragging" in a rhythmic manor---I can really feel it when
> coasting.  Sort of a drag...drag...drag...drag feeling that is in synch
> with the brake pedal pushing against my foot, and the soft scree noise from
> the rear.  Definitely the brake is rubbing and dragging on the car.  I
> couldn't push it out of the garage by hand---had to start it aand back
> out.  I'm wondering if they damaged a rotor?

> Oh, and I've been running silicone in there for years.

Yes, sounds like something's warped. If they turned the rotors or
drums, then they may not have gotten them properly centered. If one
is dragging all the time, then this sounds like more than just
warped. It may be a rear drum that is adjusted too tight, or it could
be a hose that's failed inside and isn't letting the fluid flow back
to the reservoir when you take your foot off the brakes. Or a wheel
cylinder that's sticky, so the shoes stay out.

One way to check would be to take it for a 10 minute drive where you
don't have to use the brakes much. Then stop, maybe on a hill, where
you can just let the car coast to a stop without using the brakes.
Then go to each wheel and reach thru the slots in the wheel and touch
each drum and rotor. The one that is hot is the problem.

Be careful, they can get hot enough to burn you badly.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org