[T3] brake parts

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 5 20:00:18 PDT 2015

On 5 May 2015 at 19:40, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I'm not Jim, but turning the drums shouldn't be part of a master cylinder
> replacement. Turning the drums would be more of a complete brake job on that
> axle, while turning the rotors would be part of a full brake on the front
> axle. Note a complete brake job consists of working on BOTH axles.

I'm not Bob, but I agree with him. Let me add a little more data:

In 45 years, I have only replaced ONE Type 3 rear drum. And that was
the one aftermarket one that had a center web that was too thick. I
have never turned a rear drum. If your drum is "out of round" because
of some rust, it should just be sanded off with coarse emery.

In the same time, I have turned or replaced only a handful of Type 3
front disks.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org