[T3] brake parts

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed May 6 04:58:29 PDT 2015

In 45 years, I have only replaced ONE Type 3 rear drum. And that was the one
aftermarket one that had a center web that was too thick. I have never
turned a rear drum. If your drum is "out of round" because of some rust, it
should just be sanded off with coarse emery.

In the same time, I have turned or replaced only a handful of Type 3 front
disks.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Hey Jim,  I did have to change out one of my drums on clementine back when I
was senior in high school.  Of course this was after I had rotated the tires
and I didn't tighten down the left rear wheel good and the wheel passed me
going down the highway.  Oddly enough I got her off the road and there was
all 4 lugs laying all neatly across the road. I pick them up got my wheel
and put it back on while this old man sat on his porch watching the whole
thing. He came over when I got it back together and said "boy you done a
good job getting that little car off the road".  Embarrassed I drove off and
notice the brake pedal had a bad vibration. When I got home I saw a flat
spot on the drum from the accident.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT (Clementine)
70 Fastback Carb MT (school project)
71 Stander Beetle Middle Son's car
67 Ford F-100 Hart of Crown Vic. (Leroy)
88 Golf Oldiest Son's car
10 Toyota Corolla Wife's car
65 Ford 4000 (old Blue)
Rainsville, Alabama