[T3] brake parts

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 6 23:56:21 PDT 2015

On 6 May 2015 at 22:16, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> I looked at the receipt, and all it says is "Replace master cylinder".
> Which I had to order from ISP myself, after I told the guy his supplier
> wouldn't have it.  He never mentioned tunring the drums.  What is involved
> in turning the drums?
>
> Lori & The Baroness '71 AT SB

To turn the drums, they have to remove the rear tires, wheels and
drums, then take the drums, probably with the hubs, to a brake drum
lathe, and cut off a thin amount of metal on the friction surface.
The hard part here is cutting the fresh surface exactly coaxial with
the center line of the drum. That can be almost impossible to do
unless you're tooled up specifically for VW 4-bolt drums that take
separate hubs, like ours.

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and suggest that they did not turn the
drums. Instead, the drums were rusty because the rear brake circuit
had not been working, due to the bad master cylinder. Now that the MC
has been replaced, the rear shoes are running against rusty and
uneven braking surfaces and that's what you're feeling. I would hope
that the drums could be sanded down to clean metal by hand. That's a
dirty job and they might even let YOU do it.

Getting the drums off is another challenge, but they have have dealt
with that kind of problem before.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org