[T3] Today's questions

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed May 20 11:28:07 PDT 2015

In a message dated 5/20/2015 11:05:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

Or you  can put a
lot of work into disassembling the front end, lowering 2-3 teeth  on
the splines, and end up with a car that fits your appearance
expectations, but doesn't really work that well.

Sure, there are  lots of folks out there with lowered Type 3s, and
they'll all defend their  choice, but they end up with a car that may
look cool but destroys the  needle bearings in the front end within a
few thousand miles, and wears  out tires quickly.

Yes, it's your car and you can do whatever you  please with it, but
not all choices are good choices.   ;-)

So, after over 15 years of use 2 splines down, I should have worn out
several sets of tires, and have destroyed the front end already. It hasn't
happened yet, and I've only replaced the tires due to weather checking. But then
 I grease the front end every year too. In fact the tires I have on the car
are  now currently 10 years old, still have nice tread across the tire, and
 surprizingly no weather checking. :O It still tracks straight when going
down  the hiway too.
I did remove the rubber bump stops, but left the mounting bracket, as I
didn't want water to enter the beam. I don't know, maybe I've just been lucky.

Bob 65 Notch  with sunroof