[T3] More questions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 21 13:21:37 PDT 2015

On 20 May 2015 at 19:01, Ray Gifford wrote:

> Aftermarket Steering wheels....are the adapters for the type 1s
> functional for the type 3?  Or do we need a special adapter for teh
> tyoe 3?

I THINK Type 1s will work, but be careful, the steering shaft spline
is the same on all years, but the horn circuit, and the corresponding
portion of the steering wheel, varies by year.

> How is the rear hatch supposed to open on a notch?  I have a cable
> with a fender washer attached to it, poking out of a body hole where
> the left rear "door" panel would be. any pictures of what is is
> supposed to look like?

There's a sort of knob on a lever; fastys use the same hardware.
Someone should be able to send you a photo.

> Thinking about replacing the clock with a Tach.  any preferences?
> Will anything of the right diameter fit?  What size or specs do I need
> to look for?

VDO made a custom tach for Type 3s, but those are rare as hen's
teeth, and priced accordingly. I don't know if there's anything else
that's a drop-in replacement, but I've seen gutted OE clocks with
aftermarket tach guts installed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org