[T3] Horns

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun May 24 05:05:44 PDT 2015

I like the idea of a bulb horn!

Polarity shouldn't affect our sort of horn, but our Type 3s (mostly?) ground
the horn circuit to the steering column when the horn bar is pressed, and
the horn whenever the ignition is on.  You wouldn't be able to use the
one-connector types unless you isolated them from the car body - they would
hoot continuously until they burned out!

The ones I've taken apart have had an electromagnet with a make and break
contact that causes an armature (piece of iron) to be attracted and
released.  This vibration is what you hear, amplified by the metal housing.

On some horns there's a screw externally to 'tune' the sound - worth trying
that first if so.  It may be under a blob of sealant, which needs digging
out and replacing after.

You may have to drill out rivets or undo screws (often well corroded in,
from my experience) to separate the horn and reach the works.  Often the
contacts just need cleaning, but if the electromagnet coil has burned out,
it's not going to be worth messing with.

Sometimes the contacts can be adjusted to make it work.

Some horns need a certain thickness gasket between the halves to operate
properly - the internal spacing can be critical.

However, there's nothing very sophisticated, so give it a go!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club