[T3] 66 Squareback Now Mine

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon May 25 19:47:27 PDT 2015

In a message dated 5/25/15 8:40:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
craigslistcsprings at gmail.com writes:

> the problem MIGHT be due to the tranny (or just the
>  "hockey stick", being replaced by a Bug part."

The "hockey stick" is the shift rod inside the trans nose cone, and is
shaped like a hockey stick (hence it's name). The problem is the type 3 used
it's own hockey stick, versus the other models. On t-3's, the stick has a divot
on the bottom, versus on top for a bug, bus, or ghia. When people have
their trans rebuilt (or buy a rebuilt one), they don't think about the hockey
stick being a t-3 only part, and then run into problems using a bug part in
it's place. To complicate things, companies like CIP are selling a hockey
stick with a divot on the bottom, and calling it a t-3 "compatible" part. But,
the divot on the bottom, isn't in the right place. It's actually moved
slightly over to the left (I think), and is causing issues like you're describing.
I think Mark (W1K1on the Samba) showed pics of the differences. Some have
gone to great lengths trying to hold the coupler in the right place, and
drilling a new divot. :O
I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch with Sunroof</HTML>