[T3] 66 Squareback Now Mine

Craigs List craigslistcsprings at gmail.com
Tue May 26 02:43:34 PDT 2015

"The "hockey stick" is the shift rod inside the trans nose cone, and is
shaped like a hockey stick (hence it's name). The problem is the type 3 used
it's own hockey stick, versus the other models. On t-3's, the stick has a
divot
on the bottom, versus on top for a bug, bus, or ghia. When people have
their trans rebuilt (or buy a rebuilt one), they don't think about the
hockey
stick being a t-3 only part, and then run into problems using a bug part in
it's place. To complicate things, companies like CIP are selling a hockey
stick with a divot on the bottom, and calling it a t-3 "compatible" part.
But,
the divot on the bottom, isn't in the right place. It's actually moved
slightly over to the left (I think), and is causing issues like you're
describing.
I think Mark (W1K1on the Samba) showed pics of the differences. Some have
gone to great lengths trying to hold the coupler in the right place, and
drilling a new divot."

Oh boy. That sounds like a pull the motor and transmission type job. I hope
it is adjustment or shift rod bushing. Much easier fixes.

I do know that the person who rebuilt the transmission and the po had a
long standing relationship. The mechanic would have known this was going in
a type 3. That doesn't mean he used the right part.....but it makes me feel
that adjustment or bushing may be the culprit.

Can you see the hockey stick and check for correctness from under the car,
or is this something you need to pull the engine and tranny to check?

Adam