[T3] More questions

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue May 26 13:43:19 PDT 2015

Hmm, that doesn't match the info in the Parts book, where the 4-spoke is
listed as from 312 000 001, but maybe that was a USA/Canada situation.
Since there were several other items special to the N. American models, it
would not have been a problem for the USA specification to be a bit
different initially.  For the same reason, the 5-bolt wheels and drum brakes
continued in certain markets for a few years after most got the 4-stud and
front discs in the main markets - eg Ross Clarke's Australian Fastback is
5-stud and originally 6V.

I've often wondered if some of the North American models were actually made
in July.  The factory used to close for at least 2 weeks in August to update
the assembly lines - one summer we tried unsuccessfully to visit about the
middle of August, and had to call in again on our way back from the Berlin
Type 3 Club meeting to do the tour.

I'll have to inspect closely at our meetings in the UK.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club