[T3] 66 Squareback Now Mine

Craigs List craigslistcsprings at gmail.com
Tue May 26 18:39:27 PDT 2015

hockey stick update:

I called the previous owner. He is a straight and honest guy. I asked him
if the tranny was purpose built for a type 3? He said yes.
I asked if he had a new nose come installed or a new hockey stick? He said
yes, and that the transmission builder had to redrill the hockey stick.
This tells me that it does, indeed, have a type 1 hockey stick, or he would
not have had to redrill it. I don't know if it was an oversight on the
builders part or what.

He did tell me that the shift bushing is brand new. I am still going to
check it, but I am sure it will be OK.

Then he said, when talking further about the install, that he "had to run a
drill through the shift rod because it was just to darn tight to get the
pin back in. So I drilled it out a little bit to make it go back together."
What do you guys think of this? How hard is a shift rod to replace? Could
it be drilled to far out, coupled with the incorrect hockey stick, causing
all of my shifting issues?

What should my next step be?

It was 80 degrees and 100% humidity when I got off work. I couldn't breath
much less work on the car. It is going to take a while for this Colorado
transplant to get used to this North Texas heat, and it isn't even as hot
as it usually is this time of year.

I am still going to mess with the shift plate a little, but I don't hold
out hope for that being able to adjust the ill shifting out. I am thinking
it is going to take a weekend of work and some new parts to tackle this one.

Let me know what you guys think.

Adam