[T3] 66 Squareback Now Mine

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue May 26 18:53:35 PDT 2015

In a message dated 5/26/15 8:39:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
craigslistcsprings at gmail.com writes:

> hockey stick update:
>
>  I called the previous owner. He is a straight and honest guy. I asked him
>  if the tranny was purpose built for a type 3? He said yes.
>  I asked if he had a new nose come installed or a new hockey stick? He
said
>  yes, and that the transmission builder had to redrill the hockey stick.
>  This tells me that it does, indeed, have a type 1 hockey stick, or he
would
>  not have had to redrill it. I don't know if it was an oversight on the
>  builders part or what.
>
>  He did tell me that the shift bushing is brand new. I am still going to
>  check it, but I am sure it will be OK.
>
>  Then he said, when talking further about the install, that he "had to
run a
>  drill through the shift rod because it was just to darn tight to get the
>  pin back in. So I drilled it out a little bit to make it go back
together."
>  What do you guys think of this? How hard is a shift rod to replace? Could
>  it be drilled to far out, coupled with the incorrect hockey stick,
causing
>  all of my shifting issues?
>
>  What should my next step be?
>
>  It was 80 degrees and 100% humidity when I got off work. I couldn't
breath
>  much less work on the car. It is going to take a while for this Colorado
>  transplant to get used to this North Texas heat, and it isn't even as hot
>  as it usually is this time of year.
>
>  I am still going to mess with the shift plate a little, but I don't hold
>  out hope for that being able to adjust the ill shifting out. I am
thinking
>  it is going to take a weekend of work and some new parts to tackle this
one.

>  Let me know what you guys think.

I'm guessing that the PO's builder drilled out the pin in the coupler to
get it back together, and it probably has urethane pads inside the cage for
the coupler too.
While the urethane does tighten up the coupler assembly, it can also
produce extra noise thru the shifter.
You might try flipping the rear coupler connection over (put the locking
screw on top), and see if it'll still work with the coupler upside down. Don't
know IF you would have to find a bug coupler though for it to actually
work. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a try. At this point you don't
have anything to loose except time.

Bob 65 Notch with Sunroof</HTML>