[T3] Fuel gauge issues (jumpy needle)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 29 11:47:21 PDT 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 16:00, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Also, I saw the fix that somebody shared previously about drilling a hole
> in the center of the sender.  That was interesting but I'd prefer not to
> make that mod if I can avoid it.

I'm not familiar with that "fix", and have a hard time imagining what
it might cure. The only thing I could imagine doing on the outside of
the sender would be to add a ground connection, but I've never seen
that to be necessary. (You've already noticed that VDO has a
provision there for a ground lug. That was never used on our cars,
but I suspect VDO used that same casting for lots of makes/models. A
ground lug would be necessary on plastic tanks, but I don't think
there were ANY plastic tanks in this era, so I'm not sure who would
have used that lug.)

If they were just running a wire in thru that hole, there are much
nicer ways of fixing that problem, and that's what I do when I
rebuild one of those senders.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org