[T3] Fuel gauge issues (jumpy needle)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 29 15:30:12 PDT 2015

On 29 May 2015 at 18:56, Doug Brashear wrote:

> Another vote for "grounding issue".After I reassembled my '73 the
> needle was all over the place. I made a grounding wire, running from
> one of the 6 screws that holds the sender flange on the top of the
> tank to a ground screw on the sheet metal to the left/front of the
> tank (looking into the trunk from the front of the car). That solved
> the issue.

It should be a simple matter to figure out where the ground fault is
and correct it at its source. It's either the connection between the
sender and the tank or between the tank and the body (or both.) Both
are easy to fix.

The only time I've seen a problem there was on a car where someone
had done repairs that required removing the gas tank. When they put
the tank back in, they didn't bother to reinstall the 4 clamps around
the edges. That made for some odd noises and an unsteady gauge, but
it only took 5 minutes to fix.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org