[T3] DOT 5 and brake light switches

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 4 09:12:37 PST 2015

On 4 Nov 2015 at 9:51, Sean Bartnik wrote:

> Keith, you bring up an interesting point. I guess the question is what
> kills the switches? Is it something chemical that is specific to DOT5
> that reacts badly with the materials in the switch?

On the failed switchs I've cut apart, I've seen several with a melted
plastic part, 1 with a defective internal part, and several with
nothing that I can see. I haven't seen any sign of fluid leakage into
the area where the contact is made, but that doesn't mean that
there's no microscopic film there, that just doesn't happen to be
visible.

On those latter switches, there must be an oxide layer that prevents
conduction, but there's nothing visible. The corrosion could be due
to external environmental causes, or it could be caused by an
interaction between a bit of DOT-5 and the electrical spark that
occurs when the contact is made or broken.

At this point I don't know.

> If both, I might try wiring a relay into the circuit just as an
> experiment to see if switch life can be extended.

I've considered doing that, with a relay or a transistor, but I
really don't know if it would help. I haven't tried it yet. There's a
set of 3 connectors in the trunk area that would be a good place to
install something. It's important to understand that some kinds of
contacts don't do well with only small currents. They need a minimal
amount of current to keep the contacts clean.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org