[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 62, Issue 13

ROSS G CLARKE clarkeross28 at internode.on.net
Mon Nov 9 14:54:22 PST 2015

Hello Everyone,

I had a similar problem on my 1200 mile return journey south recently. Lost compression on number 2 cylinder. After a look at that side I found the small washer under the tappet assembly on the head stud had broken thus the valve train retaining nut had worked loose. This caused the push rod to drop! Luckily I fixed the problem simply by replacing the washer, assembly the push rod and reseting the valves. Of course the push rod had some marks however still operating well now after a few thousand miles.

Regards,

Ross (Australia) Type 3, 1966 fastback.

> On 10 Nov 2015, at 7:42 am, type3-vwtype3.org-request at lists.vwtype3.org wrote:
>
>> The studs looked OK and I did not detect any twist in them as I was
>> removing the cylinder head nuts.  If the stud was pulling, is that
>> something I would easily notice?
>
> The way I test for this is to loosen and re-TORQUE the head studs in
> the course of taking the engine apart. If they come up to spec
> torque, they're okay. If you can just keep turning and turning, you
> know that they're stripped. This is not something you'll notice if
> you're just loosening nuts.
>
>> I also noticed the leak.  It appears that I was leaking out of cylinder 2
>> (the one with the burned valve) and (if I am looking at this right)
>> cylinder 4--both to the rear of the engine.

Ross G Clarke
0402 487 469
clarkeross28 at internode.on.net