[T3] Speaking of going way back...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 19:45:58 PST 2015

In a message dated 11/19/2015 9:56:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dduvall at 1peter4-10.org writes:

One  thing I would like to have seen improve is headliner materials as our
golf  suffers the same issues as my 77 Chevy did where the material attached
to the  backing board eventually starts to separate in some ways the head
liners of  our early VW seemed to hold up better as long as it did not get a
tear in it.

I get that very same thing happening to both my 88 chevy astro, and  my 92
Geo Prizm. I've even seen it in my dad's 99 chevy S-10 pickup. The cloth
material and the fiber board are fine, it's the foam in between them that's
dissolving.  The dash in my Geo is cracked as well, but it hasn't gotten  any
worse in the 5 years I've owned it. My dad's S-10 has little plastic pieces
 for the defroster vents that are breaking up and crumbling (from Texas
heat/sunlight). I believe heat and moisture are the main problems with the
headliner stuff, as I've seen it happen on other vehicles from leaving the
windows open overnight.

I'm really still waiting to see how long the "military grade"  aluminum
will hold up to Michigan "salt season", as that stuff is hard on  everything.

Bob 65 Notch  S with Sunroof