[T3] Mixed emotions

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 15:37:31 PDT 2015

A few reasons why we don't tow the Square to Texas for the "winter".

   1. When Jim A. replaced my original "rusty" Axle Beam (big job) with a
   '72 beam (thanks to a Jonathon Stiles donor), he saved a section of the old
   '69 beam to show me.  The shell had been partially de-formed where the "U"
   clamps are positioned and tightened. Whether it was from towing the car for
   3,000+ miles or excessive tightening of the "U" bolts, it's hard to say.  I
   think the rust had reduced the integrity of the metal.
   2. I noticed your comment *"The weather in **Texas is amazing for
   driving right now."*  Right now?  Yeah.  But with no A/C in the Square.
   Good A/C in the Honda, which we tow, even winter months in Rockport, can be
   warm.
   3. Rockport being on the Gulf, has a lot of "salt air".  I don't need
   any more evidence of corrosion on a 46-year-old car. Driving in Wisconsin
   summers and winters for the first 15 years wasn't kind to the steel.  Bob
   Heydt can attest to that, when he replaced the rockers, heat tubes, sills,
   etc. in 2012.
   4. ... and there are other reasons.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT