[T3] Shock Absorbers - Rear

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 16:42:38 PDT 2015

The lower rubber "doughnut" on my left-rear shock absorber on my 1969
Square disintegrated.

The "clattering" I heard was from the lower ring (without the rubber)
beating itself on the mounting bolt.

I removed the entire LR Shock and left the RR in place.  The car drives
fine with 3 shocks, but there is a noticeable "bounce" in the rear.

Questions:

   1. Are there any OE shocks available?
   2. Are OE shocks *OIL*- or *GAS*-filled?
   3. Will either oil- or gas-filled shocks be OK for summer driving, 1,000
   to 2,000 miles per year?
   4. I've tried to find companies who still make a pretty good quality
   shock.  Here
   <http://www.pepboys.com/parts/steering_suspension_alignment/shocks_struts_rear/00966/1969/VOLKSWAGEN/TYPE3%253A%2520FSB%252CSQB/0/4-1600%2520air%2520cooled>
   5. Brands:  Bilstein?  KYB?  Monroe?  Others?

Any suggestions?  Anybody have two, matching rear shocks?  I would prefer
VW OEM shocks if they are available.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)