[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Sep 13 05:06:58 PDT 2015

If you were burning that much oil rather than leaking it before you got a
tow, I would suspect a piston or rings problem rather than a burned valve,
though I would expect visible smoke as you drove.  None of the plugs look as
they should, so I suspect there's a problem that was making it run rich,
maybe the voltage regulator, to give you the 18mpg. That might have begun
working properly to give you the 24mpg you found later, though figures on a
single fill are always a bit suspect.

There's not much point trying to remove a head with the engine in.  It's
much easier and less likely to go wrong working on it with the engine out.
At least with a recent rebuild, it should come apart easily!

Why wouldn't you contact the engine builder, at least to ask his opinion?  I
would expect an experienced engine builder to want to know there's been a
problem, if only to guard against it next time.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club