[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 06:30:22 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Dave Hall <dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> If you were burning that much oil rather than leaking it before you got a
> tow, I would suspect a piston or rings problem rather than a burned valve,
> though I would expect visible smoke as you drove.

Dave, that is a good point.  My wife indicated that shortly before I pulled
over and called for a tow that she noticed visible smoke as I drove.  So
this leads me to believe that I began burning oil near the end.  Upon
inspection of the underside of my engine, I do not see any visible
indication of a major leak.

> There's not much point trying to remove a head with the engine in.  It's
> much easier and less likely to go wrong working on it with the engine out.
> At least with a recent rebuild, it should come apart easily!

That's right and at least the parts will be clean.  Although it is a bit
heartbreaking to have to tear it down so soon after a rebuild, I am
interested in seeing what it looks like inside and confirming what the
issue was.

> Why wouldn't you contact the engine builder, at least to ask his opinion?
> would expect an experienced engine builder to want to know there's been a
> problem, if only to guard against it next time.

My engine builder, I am sure, would love to know about my problem and would
have been the first person I called on my drive home when I noticed a
problem.  But he passed away earlier this year.