[T3] 009 questions

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Sep 20 06:14:51 PDT 2015

On 19 Sep 2015 at 23:48, Keith Park wrote:

> the bosch 009 is a stock dizzy for a constant RPM industrial engine, how
> could this be a good match for a street engine?

Well, it DOES have an advance mechanism, so it will change timing.
It's bound to be decent over some variation in engine speed. If it
was really made to run at a single speed it wouldn't need an advance
mechanism. It should be possible to get the engine started with some
moderate amount of advance dialed in permanently, especially with an
industrial engine that's made to run forever at some moderate speed.

These were used for racing at one time. Of course that has different
requirements from street use, since it's higher rpm and either full
throttle or full braking. It's possible that this describes Brian's
driving habits, too.  ;-)

Speaking of racing, I hear that an acquaintance of mine, Bruce
Livermore, just won the Formula Vee SCCA Nationals. The bad news is
that he also finished last in his class: the only Formula Vee that
came. It's a dying class, and to top it off, his long-time engine
builder, who had been in bad health, died. RIP.

I wonder what distributor Bruce uses.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org