[T3] Bad day at the (FI) office

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Apr 1 07:13:44 PDT 2016

On 1 Apr 2016 at 9:47, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> > The electrically heated AAR was used on '70 and later AT cars.
> > There's no advantage to it, and it's not repairable and not
> > adjustable. Plus, you don't have the wire from the fuel pump relay
> > that it needs. Polish it up and put it on your favorite display
> > shelf.
>
> Well, at least it was only $20. Still, just for fun, couldn´t it be powered directly from the + side of the coil? Maybe with an inline fuse?

Yes, you could do that, but in the original installation it is
powered in parallel with the fuel pump, so it doesn't heat up unless
the engine is actually running.

> Regarding the idle....I´ll just go through idle speed, dwell, and timing again to make sure all is in order before fretting any further.

Those are important as far as getting the right gas mileage goes, but
none of those should cause bucking and missing if they get a bit off
spec. There's something else behind that, and I don't think we know
what it was yet. I'm still considering the possibility that the CHTS
was intermittent, but that finally heating it up to full temp with
the vibration of a running engine wore thru whatever corrosion was
causing the intermittent internal connection. It's just a theory....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org