[T3] Bad day at the (FI) office

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Apr 5 07:15:32 PDT 2016

On 4 Apr 2016 at 13:19, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Aren´t 1 and 4 fired by the same side of the trigger points too? Would
> it be worth having a look at those or perhaps trying a different pair?

Yes, but the trigger points only control the timing, not the amount.
Once the engine is warmed up, even a large change in the timing won't
make a noticable difference in the operation, since all the gas
injected will eventually make it into the combustion chamber.
Consider the fact that 2 of the 4 injection pulses occur behind
CLOSED intake valves, so the gas doesn't get in until the next time
they open.

And if there's dirt on one trigger point contact, so that it can't
actually make contact, nothing works and the engine dies. The FI
circuitry requires both contacts to work in order to continue
injecting.

Another thing to try would be the other CHTS. This one may be
intermittent.

I'll try to get 2 more B brains fixed and back to you soon.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org