[T3] Bad day at the (FI) office

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 4 12:54:28 PDT 2016

I've never used NKG plugs and always used the anti seize that is aluminum
color.

 For what it's worth I use a thread chaser after I remove the plugs yet do
it only with the chaser in a socket turned by hand and only to clear the
threads in the heads of any carbon of old anti seize. When I install plugs I
used a socket that has a rubber plug holder on the inside and this holds the
plug , since the socket is 3/8" drive I use a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter and a
1/4" ratchet with a flex handle. I install the plugs only using the socket
and the 3/8" to 1/4" adapter and only by hand so I can feel if the plugs go
in easy until they seat on their gasket then only use the ratchet to
slightly compress the plugs metal gasket .

 I don't constantly remove and install plugs to read them I feel this is a
bad idea not only because of the extra work on the threads but because now
the gasket is already compressed so you can't feel it's resistance. The
gasket was really designed to be a one time use item . I never had an issue
with anti seize all you need is a little . I can't say if bosch plugs have a
so called coating like NKG yet both have rolled threads unlike Champion . I
have read issues with Bosch plugs something about the ground lug welded to
the base may stick out even with or past the threads and actually ruin the
threads in the heads I imagine it's something one could look at to make
certain of.

William