[T3] Brake Bleeding

Don Robertson donrob at yachtsales.com
Tue Apr 26 09:48:45 PDT 2016

Hear Hear!  Couldn't agree more.  The last place to put on your
cheapskate face is when doing brakes.  When I buy a new (to me)
vintage vehicle of any kind, the first thing I do is replace ALL the
brake components.  All of them!  I don't even look at the old
stuff.  Whatever is on the car is WAY past it's "best before"
date,  and even if it has been replaced already at some point, you
have no idea of the quality of the part or of the workmanship of the
gur who installed it.

Remember, before the cars get quite old enough to be "vintage" or
"collectible", they are just old shitboxes to the people who own
them, and repairs are something where saving money is of paramount
importance.  So if you value your life and your insurance, replace
everything.

If you save the wrong fifty bucks and the brakes fail and your car
kills someone, you will feel pretty foolish, and be in big trouble.

I often see people on this forum giving very questionable advice to
folks who are obviously not very mechanically inclined.  If someone
dies, and there is a written record of someone giving stupid advice,
they could be in serious trouble too.

When it comes to things like brakes and front end work, if you are
not qualified, you should take the car to a licenced mechanic and get
it done right.

At 10:56 AM 26/04/2016, you wrote:
>Ya know, all this messing around with brakes, just replace ALL THE HOSES!
>you will spend more time effort and money screwing around with questionable
>rubber, they are cheap, they are critical safety items, and they take 5
>minutes to replace, especially now that Jim has the correct RR ones, just
>get all the old crap out of there and put some good rubber in the brakes.
>
>I dont go nuts on "off with the old" very often, but with brake lines...
>its a good idea.
>
>Keith
>

>Topnotch Restorations
>topnotch at nycap.rr.com
>http://www.a383ina68.addr.com/radiorest/main.htm
>71 Squareback  "Hothe"
>65 Notchback  "El Baja Rojo"
>93 RX7  "Redstur"
>87 Golf  "Winterat"

Don Robertson - (905) 566-0000
3641 Wolfedale Road, Mississauga, Ontario, L5C 1V8
Skype: marinemarketplace
Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.
- Frederic Bastiat, French Economist (1801-1850)

Webmaster:
peoplepost.net - marinesurveyor.com - yachtsales.com - condowebsites.net
Click Here http://www.marinesurveyor.com/websites.html for a list of
over 100 Marine Surveyor Clients.

Listmaster
http://www.marinesurveyor.com/boatpokers/ - Boatpokers - A private
email forum for SAMS members
http://www.surveyorexchange.com/ - The Marine Exchange - The Marine
Technical Email Forum
For Professionals Employed in Marine Industries.