[T3] Fuel pressure and elevation

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Aug 23 15:07:44 PDT 2016

On 23 Aug 2016 at 12:47, William J wrote:

>  I don't get how air pressure affects the FPR since it's a closed sealed
> system .

Assuming FPR stands for fuel pressure regulator, the answer is that
it's not a closed system. The non-fuel side of the pressure regulator
has a vent hole to atmosphere. The spring provides about half the
force needed to hold the fuel pressure in regulation; the other half
is provided by atmospheric air pressure, which changes with altitude
and barometric pressure.

So, the answer is that you should set your fuel pressure at low
altitude on a day that is neither high nor low in barometric
pressure.

Gas regulators, like those on oxygen bottles and also those that
regulate your natural gas lines, are designed to give you a set
pressure difference between atmospheric and the gas. Absolute
pressure regulators exist, and they work by having a sealed volume
behind the diaphram. They are VERY expensive.

Sounds like, thanks to Daniel, we've learned a serious lesson here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org