[T3] Fuel pressure and elevation

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Aug 24 08:28:18 PDT 2016

Okay, I said I needed to think about this some more, so here goes:

Recall the image of the pressure regulator with gas on one side and
air + spring on the other. To keep everything in order I'll talk
about each pressure in ABSOLUTE terms; that means we'll be talking
about the pressures above zero rather than the pressure above
atmospheric. Let's simplify things by imagining that the air pressure
outside is 1 atm (atmosphere) and the fuel pressure is 3 atm (that's
2 atmospheres ABOVE the ambient.)

When the air pressure drops to, for example, 1/2 atm, the fuel
pressure regulator will regulate (balanced forces on the diaphram)
when the fuel pressure drops the same amount. So the fuel pressure
drops from 3 to 2.5 atm.

Now the air pressure is .5 atm and the fuel pressure is 2.5 atm, both
absolute.

If we use a standard Bourdon tube pressure gauge, it will always
measure the pressure DIFFERENCE between the measured fluid and the
ambient. Since virtually all common pressure gauges are of the
Bourdon tube design, this part is easy.

So, when we started out at sea level the difference was:

3 - 1 = 2 atm.

When we ended up at altitude the difference is:

2.5 -.5 = 2 atm.

Note that this means that the pressure drop across the injectors
stays constant regardless of altitude or barometric pressure.

So, Keith was right that his pressure gauge never changed, and Daniel
was right that his pressure changes probably had more to do with a
clogged filter than altitude, and I was wrong when I said that the
changes in the regulator and the changes in the pressure gauge did
not cancel out.

The really good news is that we DO NOT have to worry about any of
these things when we set our fuel pressure. All you need is a gauge
you can trust.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org