[T3] Engine serial #

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Aug 27 15:30:58 PDT 2016

To find the engine number, look just to the right of the case split
on top of the engine. It will be on one of the flat spaces there. A
US '71 engine would have been a FI engine with a number starting with
U. It will be written sideways, as if you were standing on the left
side of the engine looking down on it. Once you find it, post it here
and we can tell you what we can about what it started life as.

Keep in mind that the engine number means almost nothing at this
point. Once the engine has been rebuilt, it could have almost
anything inside it, and a '71 definitely did not come with Solexes in
the US.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org