[T3] Spark Plug Life...

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Dec 11 20:23:27 PST 2016

On 11 Dec 2016 at 20:23, John Jaranson wrote:

> I pulled Sophy's engine yesterday in preparation her freshening over the winter.  I pulled the spark plugs and took some pictures.  These are Bosch W8AC plugs with over 60,000 miles on them.  3/4 side look really good.  1/2 are a bit more sooted up but the electrodes themselves look fine.  All the gaps were still good.  Sophy's rough running is likely explained by whatever is causing the poor combustion on the 1/2 side. Further investigation is needed.
>
> Here is a link to a picture showing each of the plugs....
>
> http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2016VWStuff/SparkPlug60kMiles.jpg
>
> I am definitely impressed with the Bosch plugs....not even close to being "worn knubs"

Yes, those look like they're still quite good. The 1/2 side may be a
little richer, or it's also possible that the cooling flap on that
side is opening sooner. Those flaps are just snug on the shaft, so
they can be twisted with a little effort. Make sure the sides are
aligned with each other.

And, while you're at it, saw a shallow kerf in one end of the shaft,
parallel to the flaps, so you can tell at a glance where the flaps
are and can use a screwdriver to make sure the shaft is still free
and under the control of the thermostat.

Do all 4 piston crowns look equally carboned?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org