[T3] Alignment

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Dec 16 14:45:41 PST 2016

On 16 Dec 2016 at 8:38, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> I've hunted around for info on the tires (Vredestein Sprint) and
> didn't find anything about treadwear. The Nankangs I just put on there
> are only rated for 40k miles though which isn't that much with the way
> we drive.

For treadwear rating you're looking for some numbers/letters that
look like Treadwear 280 Traction B Temperature B. Here, the 280 means
that the tread should last something like 2.8 x what a "normal" tire
should do. Expect this number to be inflated.

Traction and Temperature ratings run AA, A, B, C, with AA being the
best.

Looking for Vredestein Sprint Classics, I find them both on the
Vredestein web page and the Coker web page, which makes me wonder who
actually makes them. I expect Coker repros to look pretty much like
the originals but not to have the same quality.

At tirerack.com I find a 165/80R15 for $63, but the brand is only
shown as "Classic." Don't know what it really is, but the price is
right. The treadwear, etc. is what I used above, so they're not
excellent, but probably okay for most of us. I tried to get the brand
by chatting with "Julian" but all I got was that the brand was Power
King, the same people that make trailer tires for tirerack.com.

I did find that Power King makes tires, but mostly truck tires,
offroad tires, and odd use tires. They're in Florida and that's all I
know about them. At that price they might still be worth looking at.
Note also that you can pick them up for no shipping (but presumably
sales tax) at a local tirerack store. Maybe you can skip the sales
tax if you pay at the tirerack web site.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org