[T3] Type 1 to type 3 tow bar adpter

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 12:36:48 PST 2016

>Gary Forsmo and a friend made up a fixture so
>that he could tow his Type 3 behind his RV coach. I helped them with
>the design and the work and it seemed to work quite well, although it
<was designed to work strictly with the towbar that also worked with
>his Honda, ...

Jim's description is essentially correct, but ...
the collaboration between Jim, Randy (who did the fabrication) & me built a
"base plate"; which all RVers must have to tow a vehicle "4-wheels down";
was built in May 2012 for towing the Square to the Invasion in Colorado
Springs and the 2014 Invasion in Fairport, NY.

>Gary's front axle beam suffered a rust breakdown that was unrelated
>to the towing but required replacement of the front axle beam.

... "unrelated"...  but possibly contributed to the beam failure when I had
a Type 3 knowledgeable (with the help of Jim) alignment shop unsuccessfully
try to do an alignment.

The LH outer area at the top of the beam was "rotted" to the point that
there was no way the alignment shop could adjust and have the adjustment
hold the proper settings.

Jon Stiles (thanks again) had "donated" a '72 Axle Beam for us to have a
free-standing beam to use for the fabrication of the base plate.  But when
my "rusty", original '69 axle beam failed, Jim used the '72 beam as a
replacement.  With that beam installed, the alignment shop had no problem
adjusting the camber, tow-in and castor.

>I gave Gary the cut cross section of the axle beam that shows the
>crushing. If he still has it, perhaps he can post photos somewhere.

I still have the "crushed" cross section, but it's in the Wisconsin hanger
where the '69 is stored for the winter.  As many of you know, we are
(luckily) in Texas for the winter.

BTW.  Yesterday 78.8 degrees; today 38 degrees.

*​*After all of that axle beam/tow bar commentary, does anyone have a car
or Type 3 axle beam, which is accessible?

If so I would like to know the approximate bottom angle of the axle beam
shell, from left to right.  The angle something less than 180 degrees.  *​*

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)