[T3] Carbs

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Dec 21 12:09:49 PST 2016

On 20 Dec 2016 at 23:43, ray at mendomail.com wrote:

> I need carb advice  I have a 65 notch.  The PO put a single, double
> barrel Holley on it.  He said the motor was only a 1600  I am not
> enthused with this carb and am looking to replace it.  Any
> suggestions?  Since the PO already had a single, center mount carb ot
> it and I have no engine cover, I am not above doing another single
> carb.  What do you suggest as a general all around carb.  Decent
> performance, decent MPG.

It sounds like you may have a later, FI engine, with the Holley
adaptor that was sold back in the day. Yes, it's a bad choice. If you
see individual air runners running sideways to each cylinder intake,
this is what you have.

Your best choice would be to replace it with a complete set of dual
port stock Solex carbs, converted to 6 V unless your car has been
converted to 12 V, with stock air cleaner. Sounds like Mike has what
you need. They will all fit under the stock engine cover.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org