[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Thu Feb 4 14:44:24 PST 2016

 Jim :

 I did a bit of re-search and from what I have found is the outer (roller
bearing) takes the load of the car. The inner ( ball ) with the spacer
sleeve between the races takes up the in and out play . I'm sure you already
know this . It seems like the roller bearings inner race is removable and of
course the ball bearing has the cage .

 Like I said I don't hear any bearing noise driving and I rotated the wheel
by hand and it felt smooth . I didn't raise the car and actually run the
engine in drive to spin it faster .

 I never checked them before. It was only because I had that side off the
ground that for some reason I decided to rock the tire .

 All I ever worked on as far as rear wheel bearings were Fords with rear
wheel drive and a bad or rough bearing would always show up driving they
were roller bearings pressed onto the axle's outside end with a 4 bolt plate
that held the axle in place or they had no plate and the axle was secured by
large C shaped inserts that fit through the diff's spider gears that fit in
grove in the axle. The rough bearing sound could be duplicated running the
car in drive on a lift and pulling the park brake cable to stop each wheel
to make sure which side it was on yet that was one solid axle housing so to
confirm which side it was .

 I will check the axle nut and see if it's loose. I didn't feel any in/ out
movement. . I also never added new grease in the bearing hub on the trailing
arm . I don't know how much play there is betwen the race and roller's or
balls , they need some for grease and also expansion or they would seize.

 Also that movement I described has to be much more at the outside edge of
the tire than it is at the axle.

William