[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Feb 4 13:11:13 PST 2016

On 4 Feb 2016 at 10:53, William J wrote:

>  I noticed the other day when I had the right rear jacked up that I
> could grab the tire front and rear and rock it about 1/8" at the tires
> edge and if I grabbed the tire top and bottom it moved the same
> amount. There is no in/ out movement . The play feels much like a
> loose front wheel bearing . Driving it I never hear any noise like a
> rough bearing . The outer is a roller and inner is a ball bearing.

I'm not completely sure, but I suspect what you're seeing is
completely normal. The combination of the ball and roller bearing
does not allow for removing all play, like a pair of tapered roller
bearings would. These IRS rear wheel bearings seem to be extremely
reliable. The only one I've ever seen fail was on a car where the nut
and drum came loose and the outer roller bearing came apart. In spite
of the damage, the parts were all still there and I was able to just
put it back together. It lasted for at least several more years,
after which I lost contact with the car.

The only thing I might recommend would be to remove that new cotter
pin and make sure the nut is tightened to spec. Then be sure to
reinstall the cotter pin.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org