[T3] Question on oil cooler seals.

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Fri Feb 12 18:34:39 PST 2016

 The 72 case in my car has both 10mm cooler and case also dual relief . The 73 is the same and I have the 72 cooler for a spare.

 I posted a photo on Samba Dec 2015 and it was used on the Bus forums T-4 engines as an example of an over compressed seal. The large area of the seal is about 50% of a new seal I posted. The seal I posted was installed in 85 by me and was there until 97 . It's not cracked and if I measure the case side the ID is 11mm and cooler side is 10mm . On that 73 case the clean area where the cooler bosses sat are not as large in OD as the spacers . I can't recall yet doubt if I used them . I have 3 of these spacers in a baggie . I can't recall if they were on either of these cases or given to me by a shop I used to buy parts from as a just in case I need them deal. I seem to recall removing them yet if very well could be a photo in these manuals.

 The Bentley or Haynes are not very specific . If I recall use the 3 spacers if they were there.

 From all I can find if you have the 10mm case and cooler as I have there is only one red 10mm seal to be used with no spacers.

William

---