[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Feb 15 18:31:54 PST 2016

On 16 Feb 2016 at 8:20, Ross G Clarke wrote:

> I fitted a "CB Performance" oil take off adapter plate to my single
> port 1600 type 3 fast back. Its a half inch alloy plate that fits
> between the case and the existing oil cooler.

I liked your addition of an air scoop. That's probably important if
the over-tranny cooler is going to do anything at all. Where are you
measuring the oil temp? It's got to be somewhere IN the engine to be
meaningful.

Those adaptor plates have been around for awhile, but I've never seen
one personally. If they are just a simple plate that allows the
installation of a parallel system of oil coolers or cooler/filter,
which is most likely, then they should give a bit more cooling and
allow for a bypass, but not full flow filtering. Adding quick
connectors will reduce the bypass flow even more.

If they put the coolers in series, then they will give full flow
filtering and double cooling, but the pressure drop they introduce
comes after the pressure regulator valve, so the delivery pressure to
the bearings will be less. Quick connectors in the lines will
increase the pressure drop in this system and apply even less flow to
the bearings.

All things considered, I don't see much in this option that
recommends it. There really is one good way to install full flow
filtering and that's done by the method in the book I mentioned.
Because of the Type 3 fan housing, the plumbing is more difficult
than on a Beetle, but it can be done, and the outcome is just as
good.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org