[T3] Temp sensor and MPS problems on new motor

Jessica Chase jesassica at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:21:32 PST 2016

Our AFR sensor is in the exhaust damper towards the end of the thin part just before it joins the muffler:

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/jesassica/media/photo-1_zps48ff6d43.jpg.html <http://s53.photobucket.com/user/jesassica/media/photo-1_zps48ff6d43.jpg.html>

The car is a ’69 with a “B” MAP sensor so there’s only the outermost screw for adjusting. I’m understanding TS2 as the one in the head and TS1 as the sensor in the case. We could unplug TS1 and drive home pig rich if that’s the safest bet!   Gas is cheap right now and we have some spare spark plugs!!!

We have a solid state regulator and system voltage is fine without a load. However, with the headlights on, it drops, especially at idle, and with the headlights on and the AFR gauge installed, I can see that it runs about 1 point leaner on the AFR scale for some reason. This is with H4 lights. I know this is possibly an issue, but it’s not necessarily directly related to our current one and seems to be the way the system works? The way lean readings we got today were with the lights off and system voltage ok.

The place we’re staying at up in the Adirondacks has a wood burning stove and we were able to put the cap of a spare MPS on top of it to soften up and remove the epoxy so that it’s now fully adjustable. Maybe this will help?  Otherwise, is there anyone up here in northern NYS with some wisdom?