[T3] Temp sensor and MPS problems on new motor

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Feb 18 18:45:13 PST 2016

comments below

Our AFR sensor is in the exhaust damper towards the end of the thin part
just before it joins the muffler:

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/jesassica/media/photo-1_zps48ff6d43.jpg.html
<http://s53.photobucket.com/user/jesassica/media/photo-1_zps48ff6d43.jpg.htm
l>
This *could* be the problem, my builder reccomended the right end of the
stock muffler for turbulence reasons, for now leave it there if you can get
consistent readings.

The car is a '69 with a "B" MAP sensor so there's only the outermost screw
for adjusting. I'm understanding TS2 as the one in the head and TS1 as the
sensor in the case. We could unplug TS1 and drive home pig rich if that's
the safest bet!   Gas is cheap right now and we have some spare spark
plugs!!!

This makes life easy, the B sensors are easy to adjust, I call the air temp
sensor TS2 and the head temp TS1, lets call them head or air for less
confusion.  unplugging the air sensor will richen things up about 10%,
TRY that, see what happens, it wont hurt anything and the difference is
subtle.  If you adjust the MPS, keep a log on what your doing and where you
have it, 1/8 turn at a time so you can always get it back to where you want
it.

We have a solid state regulator and system voltage is fine without a load.

GOOD!

However, with the headlights on, it drops, especially at idle, and with the
headlights on and the AFR gauge installed, I can see that it runs about 1
point leaner on the AFR scale for some reason. This is with H4 lights. I
know this is possibly an issue, but it's not necessarily directly related to
our current one and seems to be the way the system works? The way lean
readings we got today were with the lights off and system voltage ok.

This is Normal operation, you only care about reading above 2K RPM.  the
H4's draw less current than the old incandescents.

The place we're staying at up in the Adirondacks has a wood burning stove
and we were able to put the cap of a spare MPS on top of it to soften up and
remove the epoxy so that it's now fully adjustable.

Good, then its prepped up.  Where in the adirondacks?  I live in CLifton
Park but own a Camp up on Eagle Lake off exit 28.

 Maybe this will help?  Otherwise, is there anyone up here in northern NYS
with some wisdom?
Id be more than happy to have a look, however if you drive thru town here in
the salt this time of year im going to get a BOATLOAD of phone calls
telling me what they just saw! :-0 EVen in the summer...  Seriously,
with the Brining NYS is doing now, the magnesium chloride on the NOrthway
your car wont be around for long in the winter.

another thing you need to consider on a 69 is that the FI had poor grounding
on the harness, the injectors were grounded on the heads and in the salt
belt these unprotected spade connectors went bad quickly, good idea to
grease them up to protect them.  With some adjustment, this car should
run perfectly.