[T3] Temp sensor and MPS problems on new motor

Jessica Chase jesassica at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 18:05:02 PST 2016

Hey guys!

Jim….I was writing this post when yours came in so I’ll think on what you said and respond to it later. But I can comment on our fuel pressure gauge. It’s an Actron gauge from Autozone that we modified it to accept a 5/16 hose.

Here’s what cold start is like with the pressure sensor unadjusted. The video shows lean AFR’s, hunting (or loping?) rpms, and stable fuel pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3phST7MFWE&feature=youtu.be <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3phST7MFWE&feature=youtu.be>

Here’s another that shows what happens with the air temp sensor unplugged. It changes by a lot more than 10%!!! This is the idle AFR we drove home with the other day when we got bad gas mileage and didn’t have an AFR of above 12 while cruising at 70 mph.  If you have decent computer speakers, you can also hear what’s going on with the idle throughout both videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RN75xveTaY&feature=youtu.be <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RN75xveTaY&feature=youtu.be>

20 more miles today on our adjusted MPS and all is well and smooth. Idle is good, throttle response is good, cruising is good.

Keith, how did you get your motor to run with a non stock cam? We went with stock because of all we heard and read about how important the cam is to producing the correct vacuum signature for the MPS. We have a counterweighted crank and lightened flywheel though and unless I’m crazy, you can really feel the difference at idle (so much smoother) and under acceleration (quicker without all that weight spinning around).