[T3] FI fuel pump?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Feb 21 20:28:16 PST 2016

On 21 Feb 2016 at 17:12, Jared Kohler wrote:

> I have a 1969 Spareback with FI. The previous owner installed an
> aftermarket electric fuel pump. Now it is giving me troubles. i'm
> going to remove it shortly and bench test it. Perhaps, I can fix it?

I rebuild the OE fuel pumps but not the aftermarket ones. I prefer
the OE ones, just because they fit and work better, but the
aftermarket ones are rather inexpensive. I have a FEW rebuilt pumps
available, but I much prefer to rebuild and return, just to conserve
the number of good OE pumps available.

The cause of most pump problems is water in the gas. This is a
problem for any pump, OE or aftermarket. Our Type 3s have an overflow
hose under the RF fender that is always cracked by now and OE parts
are NLA. Cracks in that hose let water and dirt into the tank any
time you drive in the rain. I have a kit to repair it and my kit is
more durable than the original part. You probably need to install
this kit in addition to any work you do on the pump. For a '69, the
kit costs $25, including shipping.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org