[T3] Temp sensor and MPS problems on new motor

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 18:32:50 PST 2016

Could be salt corrosion eating away, but it's very common for Type 3 starter
motors to refuse to turn when they have cooled down after a hot drive.  I've
had it happen on all my Type 3s over 40 years, without actually finding out
why it happens (or doesn't). It does seem to bear some connection with
heat-soak (even in the UK!), and hitting the starter motor (a single sharp
tap) with a hammer or screwdriver handle often does the trick.  Also
mometarily shorting the starter solenoid and starter main feed with a coin
to make it turn a bit often shakes it out of its 'sulk'. We were shown that
trick by Russ on the first Invasion caravan at Lander, WY, but it's nt very
convenient or easy to reach under to do it.  That suggests the brushes might
not be making good contact with an armature that's cooled and contracted a
fraction.

What I used to find was that operating the starter motor again briefly after
turning off the engine very often ensured it would start again without a
problem later.

Opening up the starter motor and making sure the brushes are not too worn
and everything is clean and the sliding gear is lightly lubricated may fix
it for a time, but the only thing that has seemed to work for me is fitting
a 'hard start' relay. That can be done easily - there's even a connector in
the red starter solenoid wire under the carpet on the right of the tunnel
that means you can do it without even cutting wires.  I mount the relay so
the (red/white) wire from the ignition/starter switch operates the relay
primary circuit (earth wire needed to the frame) and a similar thickness
wire from the battery + to the relay secondary input, with the solenoid wire
(red) connected to the relay output.

I've not had the problem recur for maybe the past 15 years since adding the
relay.  It also takes the solenoid load off the ignition/starter switch,
which in the long term is probably even more important, as parts
availability gets less good.

One other problem I've found was in my first Type 3, a 6 Volt Squareback
where the solenoid and motor braided connector had crumbled away. Until I
found that problem, I used to have a battery feed in a connector block and a
wire from the solenoid to touch on it - not very handy to have to reach
behind the seat and touch them together if I stalled in traffic!

Hope it helps.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club